If your credit card, university id, transport card and/or passport get lost/stolen these are the steps you must take: 

Report the lost or stolen objects to the Police within the 24 hours after the incident.


You can do this at any police station in the city, but  the police station (comisaría) on St. Leganitos, 19, 28004 - Madrid (next to Pza. de España) [Open from 9:00 a.m. to 12:00 a.m.] is a special police station where you can report a crime fully in English. 

You can also report a crime in English by calling  902 102 112, from 9:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m., or you can also do it through the internet: click here!

After reporting through a phone call or the internet, you will need to go to a police station selected by you previously and sign the report (48 hours to complete this step). 

Make sure to check the types of crimes that can be reported through phone call and through the webpage, and see if it works for your specific case.  

Once you have the police report, you should fill out a claim form and sent it to the insurance company: Click here! 

Cancel your credit card

If your credit card is missplaced or stolen, the very first step is to cancel your card. Contact your bank if it has a specific procedure and call the card provider to cancel your card. The phones are the following:

  • For Visa ( while in Spain):   900-99-1124  (Click here for other number if it happend while in another country).
  • For MasterCard :       0800964767

Get an emergency passport 

If your U.S. passport has been lost or stolen, you are required to apply for a new passport in person, by making an appointment at the Embassy in Madrid or Consulate in Barcelona, or contacting your nearest Consular agency. If you have urgent travel plans and need to replace your passport immediately, you may walk-in to the Embassy in Madrid or the Consulate General in Barcelona during regular business hours – 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. for Madrid, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.  for Barcelona, Monday through Friday, except on U.S. or local holidays. 

You need to take proof of Identity and Citizenship, such as copy of your U.S. passport, driver’s license, etc. Check and download the forms you will need here. Do NOT sign the form. You´ll have to do that at the embassy in the presence of a Consular Officer under oath. Fill out the forms in advance will make your wait time significantly shorter.

  • The fee for an adult is $135.00 or its equivalent in Euros.

Student id card

To get a replacement of your student id, go to the  Santander Bank office ON YOUR CAMPUS. the staff will be able to issue your card or a replacement immediately. You must bring your passport with you.

If your campus does NOT have a branch of Banco Santander and there is NO instant issue campaign active at that time, you must fill in the form below:        


You will be notified when your card is ready to be picked up.

Transport card

If you need to replace your transport card, go here, and click on "iniciar solicitud de duplicado". You will have to pay 6 € for the replacement. This  new card will be issued with the contained tickets on the missing card

. It can be done at the Public Transport Offices. Here you can check the one closer to you. 

More information here.