Extension Process

Here you will find all the information on how to extend your visa from the Fall to the Spring.

EXTENSION: from Fall to Year

If you would like  to extend your participation in the Program from Fall to Year, you will need to submit your petition form before the deadline, November 1st. The petition form will be different, depending on the steps you have taken before coming to Spain. Either way you must contact your program coordinator, Rocío Navas (rnavas@uceap.universityofcalifornia.edu).

  • If you have already submitted an approved DPA (Departmental/College Preliminary Approval to Extend), you will need  to complete the following petition form (RFA – Request for Final Approval): Click here to access the petition form

  • If you did not submit an approved DPA before departure, you must complete a Petition to Extend (PTE) instead of a Request for Final Approval: Click here to access the petition form.                                     
    This petition process takes more time than the first one, since the Petition to Extend, must be approved by UCEAP, your UC campus department chair, and the UC dean or provost.

VISA: Administrative procedure

Once landed on a Schegen State, the Police authorities will place a stamp on your visa (this doesn't need  to be done at a Spanish airport). The date that appears on the stamp will be your official date of entrance. 

You can have two types of VISA: 

90-day VISA:

This is the type of VISA that you should have if you are going to be in Spain for the entire academic year. You will have 30 days from the official date of entrance to apply for an extension on your visa. The EAP staff will assist you with getting your TIE ("residence card"). 

If your passport has no stamp, you have 3 days to have it stamped at any police station or Foreign Nationals Office.

180-day VISA:

If you have a 180 - day VISA and you are  planning to be in Spain for only one semester, you won't need to do any additional operation. If you are thinking about extending from Fall to Year, you will need  to complete an administrative process ("prórroga de estancia"), in which case you should talk to the Program Coordinator  as soon as possible and start with the procedure. 

Students with an EU passport:

You must apply for the "Certificado de Registro como Residente Comunitario"; talk to the Program Coordinator for guidance on how to do this.